Summer 2016 Registration OPEN Now
Spring 2016 Playoffs
Spring 2016 Playoffs
- Women's A1 6/6 7 & 8 PM MHS
- Women's A2 6/13 7 & 8 PM Charles Jordan
- Women's B 6/6 8 & 9 PM Charles Jordan
- Women's BB 6/13 7 & 8 PM MHS
- Women's AA 6/14 8 & 9 PM PCC
- Women's A 6/14 8 & 9 PM PCC
- Coed A 6/8 8 & 9 PM EPCC
- Coed B1 6/15 7 & 8 PM EPCC
- Coed B2 6/15 7 & 8 PM MHS
- Coed C 6/8 7 & 8 PM MHS
- Coed A Thursday 6/2 8 & 9 PM PCC
- Coed B Thursday 6/2 8 & 9 PM PCC
Spring 2016 Schdules Posted
Second half schedules for Spring Season are being posted. Please keep checking back!
Winter 2016 Playoffs
Winter 2016 Playoffs
- Women's A1 Spike Heels
- Women's A2 Fantastic Six
- Women's B Floor Burn
- Women's BB Chickaboom
- Women's AA Hot Spicy Ballz
- Women's A Sneaker Wave
- Coed A Down and Dirty Diggers
- Coed B1 2 Legit 2 Hit
- Coed B2 East of Eden
- Coed C Mudsharks
- Coed A Thursday PVA All-Stars
- Coed B Thursday Net 2.0
After experimenting with leaving the divider up and getting feedback from teams, the board has decided that it is better to leave it down to minimize balls coming on to other courts. The rule regarding the divider is that the play is dead if the ball touches the divider. A player attempting to play the ball may attempt to move the divider in order to make the play, but no one else may.
Coed Ghost Player Rule
The PVA Board has voted to do away with the old exemption rule which allowed a coed team to play with three men and two women only once a season, and instead to adopt the Ghost Player Rule as discussed at the Fall managers meeting. The rule is effective as of the beginning of Winter season and is stated as follows:
Ghost Player Rule
This rule automatically goes into effect for a coed team any time that team chooses, or is forced by circumstance, to play with only five players, and those players consist of three men and two women.
The team playing with three men and two women must leave a space in their lineup where the missing woman should be. If the missing woman would be in the front row, there would be only two front row players for that rotation. When the missing woman would normally serve, the serve goes to the opposing team, like a side-out but without any point awarded.
2016 Winter Schedules
Schedules are going up for the Winter season. Please keep checking back for updates.
2015 Fall Managers Meeting Notes
Thanks to everyone who attended the Fall 2015 Managers Meeting! Here are the main takeaways:
- Membership Requirements - The PVA Board clarified registration
and membership requirements. An individual player is granted membership and
eligibility to play in PVA leagues when they are part of a properly
registered team. Proper registration must be completed and requires the
- Payment of team fee
- Completed team roster
- Completed and signed waiver for each player on the roster. Each player must complete and sign a waiver once per fiscal year--September 1st to August 31st.
- New: Email address for each player on the roster
- Bylaws - The PVA Board presented proposed amendments to the PVA Bylaws. The managers present voted to approve the amended PVA Bylaws which have been posted on the website on the Rules & Regs page.
- Ghost Player Rule - The PVA Board presented a proposal to consider implementation of the "ghost player" rule in coed leagues for situations where a team needs to play with three men and two women. Feedback from the managers was mostly positive and the board plans to vote on formally adopting this rule during the next PVA Board meeting. Note that until that vote occurs, the rules are updated, and teams and referees are notified, the old exemption rule is still in place. That means for now, teams may only play with three men and two women once during a season. Stay tuned for an update on this issue that will become effective for the Winter Season.
We are looking for a couple of players that are interested in making some extra money for the holidays! We need referees for Tuesday and/or Thursday nights, so if you aren't already playing either of those nights, we could use you as an official!. If you want to try something new an different, expand your knowledge of volleyball, and help yourself out for some additional holiday money, let us know! Contact Lisa Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and want to learn more. Time is of the essence, so don't delay!
Managers: Please have every player on your team fill out and sign a waiver. For individual players, waivers are valid for the year Fall 2015 to Summer 2016. If a new player joins your team, please have the player fill out and return a waiver. New waivers will be required for all players for the Fall 2016 season.
- The waiver can also be downloaded submit your waiver.
- You can return signed waivers either by mail to Portland Volleyball Association PO Box 25503 Portland, OR 97298-0503
- OR by scanning and emailing to
- If you have not yet filled out a waiver, please return the signed waivers prior to your next match.
Thank you to all the teams that have submitted rosters. Please submit your roster if you have not yet done so.Rosters are required to be submitted each season.
Milwaukie High School Parking Update
Heads up everyone, just in from the Milwaukie High School AD and Pam. We can no longer park at the Catholic church across the street from Milwaukie. If you do, you risk being towed! Please spread the word!!!
We have created a Facebook group for Managers and Free Agents to hook up, if you haven't joined you can do so today! Here's the link: Portland Volleyball Association Managers & Free Agents
Player Eligibility Decision
Dear Managers and Referees,
This email follows up on the February 13, 2015 email regarding player eligibility and whether an 18 year old player in high school may participate in PVA leagues. At the February 25, 2015 meeting of the PVA Board, the members of the board discussed and voted on this issue. Following a lengthy and wide-ranging discussion, we ultimately voted to make PVA more inclusive and include high school players who are at least 18 years of age.
The historic rule text provided the following eligibility criteria:
Players must be eighteen (18) years of age and not enrolled in high school. Anyone who has graduated at the age of 17 will be allowed to participate.
The rule has been updated to reflect the PVA Board vote as follows:
Players must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
The PVA website has been updated to reflect this change.
Thank you to those of you who brought this issue to our attention and to those of you who provided comments.
PCC Parking Update
Dear Managers, Starting May 5, 2014 players will need to purchase a parking pass to park in *any* PCC parking lot. Passes can be purchased at the kiosk located in lot 11. The cost is $2 per pass and the pass is good for two hours ($3 for 3 hours). If you do not have a pass on your dashboard, you may be assessed a $20 ticket. PVA is not responsible for any tickets issued. PCC has a couple of drive-through payment stations on the way down from the top entrance. If you go in the top and turn right, heading down to the gym, the payment stations are on your right and you can pay from your car before you park. I always strongly recommend people doing that, as it allows you to get your pass before parking and you don't have to park and then walk to a payment station, hoping the ticket giver doesn't give you a ticket in the meantime. Thanks, PVA Board